Men's Soccer vs UBCO/TRU

September 29th, 2013

The VIU Men's Soccer Team were able to salvage only 1 point this past weekend.

Saturday the Mariners faced a talented first place UBCO Heat and were able to come away with a 1-1 draw.
Farhad Abdulgani scored early in the game to put the Mariners up by 1, the Heat were able to come back and tie the game before half time, it was the Heat's Dylan Abbott that finished of a nice passing play. The game was very entertaining with some back and forth action and both teams playing some entertaining soccer, but after 90 minutes each team was only able to find the back of the net once.
 Sunday was a different game as the always physical TRU Wolfpack came in on a days rest as their game against the Capilano Blues was canceled because of field conditions. The game started off fast and the intensity was there from the opening whistle, both teams going for the win and both teams having 5 cards handed out their way. VIU and TRU both traded opportunities but it was the Wolfpack's  Asly Raynes and Oriol Torres that were able to finish their chances and give the Wolfpack a 2-0 lead at half time. The Mariners Farhad Abdulgani was shown a red card after the whistle blew for the end of the 1st half, Abudulgani reacted after being struck by a Wolfpack player and the Mariners had to go into the 2nd Half a man down.
  The young Mariner team showed a lot of character as they worked hard for each other and played a solid 2nd half and carried most of the play.  Nick Moore scored on a Penalty Shot early into the 2nd half to make the game very interesting, but the final score ended with the Wolfpack up 2-1.
"As a coach you can't ask for much more from a young team like ours, I felt they dug very deep in the 2nd half to try and get at least a single point. I think all our players learned from the game and this will only help us going forward, we need to work on keeping our discipline against teams that are physical and when situations arise."
Bill Merriman  - Head Coach